RAPID ACCESS INFLUENZA IMMUNISATIONS SESSIONS 2021 AT REYDON STREET MEDICAL CENTRE
We wish to help all our patients access influenza vaccination in a timely, efficient and safe manner. To help facilitate this, we will run some quick access influenza only sessions .
Due to the way these sessions are taking place we will not be able to deal with any other issues. Patients attending the rapid access influenza only sessions will need to book another consultation / telephone consultation for all other matters (including scripts , referrals, other immunisations).
PRIVATE INFLUENZA VACCINE STOCK for patients aged 5 years to 64 years (without chronic conditions)
- Patients who are not eligible for a government funded flu vaccination (see below) are able to purchase this through a private supply. the cost of the the vaccine itself is $20.00 plus consultation fee.
- The consultation will be billed direct to Medicare on your behalf on the day
Government stock for those over 65 yrs old or <65yo with Chronic Conditions is still coming and we will post once we have details of arrival.
GOVERNMENT FUNDED INFLUENZA IMMUNISATIONS
In 2021, flu vaccines funded through the National Immunisation Program are available to the following groups. This is due to their increased risk of complications from influenza.
- Children aged 6 months to less than 5 years
- All Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people aged 6 months and over
- Pregnant women (during any stage of pregnancy) – Pregnancy – Influenza immunisation advice
- All people aged 65 years and over
- People aged 6 months and over with medical conditions which increase the risk of influenza disease complications (scroll to bottom of page for table below)
PATIENTS OVER 65 years old
PATIENTS over 65 yrs old will receive a different (stronger) vaccination to those under 65, and this is available from GPs through the Government supply. If you are over 65 years old and intend to obtain a flu jab at a pharmacy check that you are receiving the correct brand (FLUAD QUAD) intended for over 65 year olds. Please check our On-Line booking system or Facebook page for dates and times.
How to access your flu jab at Reydon Street
Will will run RAPID ACCESS sessions again this year as they have been well received by patients.
These sessions will either be for private immunisations, or government funded immunisation at any one session.
The sessions will vary between indoors and outdoors depending on a number of factors.
The RAPID ACCESS Sessions are only suitable for people in the following groups:
- Aged over 16 years
- Able to stand for 15 – 20 mins
- Able to walk up stairs
- Able to walk on uneven ground (scroll to the bottom of the page to see photos)
- Do not have contraindications
- Do not have questions about the influenza immunisation or COVID vaccination
- Have already made their mind up they want the influenza immunsiation
- Have not had a COVID-19 vaccination in the 14 days beforehand
- Do not want to have a COVID-19 vaccination in the 14 days after their flu jab.
- Are prepared to receive vaccinations in a group setting.
Please arrive on time and wear suitable clothes (short sleeves or straps are ideal)
Supply of influenza vaccines will come through is batches for both private and government funded immunisations. We will make provision for everyone to receive their vaccine, including those that wish an individual appointment with their usual GP.
Get your Flu shot from your GP
Annual flu vaccination is the most important measure to prevent influenza (the flu) and its complications. It is recommended for all people aged 6 months and over (unless contraindicated). This year it may also reduce the chances of complication of the COVID-19 coronavirus.
Influenza usually peaks around June to September (“Ekka Flu”) for us in the suburbs of Mt Gravatt, Mansfield, and Wishart, but this year may be different.
Influenza may occasionally cause severe complications such as pneumonia and making your existing medical conditions worse leading to hospitalization and even death. Unfortunately infection with COVID-19 at the same time may well make the chances of complication more likely.
Do I need a flu shot every year?
The influenza virus is always changing so the influenza vaccine changes too. To protect yourself from influenza, you should get vaccinated every year. This year it is even more important to have a flu shot due reduce the risks of a double whammy from Influenza and COVID-19.
The 2021 flu vaccine is recommended for everyone aged 6 months and over. The influenza vaccine does not contain live virus, so you can’t get influenza from the vaccine. The influenza vaccine does not contain live virus, so you can’t get influenza from the vaccine.
How much is the flu shot?
During the RAPID ACCESS Immunization sessions consultation will be Bulk Billed to Medicare. Immunizations given at other times will attract the usual practice fees.
Patients who are not eligible for a government funded flu vaccination (see below) are able to purchase this through a private supply. Our clinic stock of private flu vaccines is available at a cost of $20 plus any consultation fee.
Flu vaccines funded through the National Immunisation Program are available to the following groups. These immunizations will still attract a consultation fee.