Am I at risk?
You are here
Living in Queensland means we have an increased risk of skin cancers and melanomas.
We develop more melanomas than any other country in the world. We also develop far more other types of skin cancers and at an earlier age.
This greatly increased risk comes from genetic and lifestyle factors:
• Sun exposure when young
• Sun burn – it can take just 10-15 mins to burn
• Fair skin – especially English, Irish, Scottish and other European skin colouring
• Outdoor sports and recreation – Swimming, Football, Netball, Cricket, Surfing , Fishing, Gardening, Bushwalking
• Outdoor occupations – Tradies, Police, Airport workers,
• Family members with skin cancers
• Family members with melanomas
• Having an increased number of moles
• Sun damaged skin
• Previous skin cancer or melanoma
Melanoma is the most commonly diagnosed cancer and is the second commonest cause of death in younger Australians
2 in 3 Australians will be diagnosed with skin cancer by age 70.
Melanoma kills more people than road accidents
Book A Skin Check Now